Skip to main content

Book Haul

I spent the last few days of my holidays doing a lot of shopping! I came across some great pinup style and Old Hollywood books. Most of these books I purchased at Book Face at Pacific Fair, but I also found a a few books from QBD.

Here are the books that I bought!

Audrey The 50s 
by David Wills

This book was in my pinup wishlist/gift guide post last week. I was very excited when I found this book at Book Face! There are lots of beautiful photos of Audrey from this era, and I like how the book is separated into different sections of the films that she starred in during the 1950s. My favourite part of this book is definitely the Sabrina section, as I love anything to do with Audrey and William Holden. 

Marilyn Monroe Metamorphosis 
by David Wills

Another David Wills find! This book was on sale at QBD marked down from $65 to $20 and it was a great purchase! There are some similarities between this book and Audrey The 50s, such as the different sections and the high quality photos. I really enjoyed all the different quotes that are throughout this book, both Marilyn's quotes and other stars/production people of the time.


Marilyn's Style
by Andrew Hansford with Karen Homer
I haven't had much of a chance to look at this book yet, as I did buy seven books this week! But after a flip through the book looks wonderful. It has a mixture of illustrations and photographs of Marilyn's different costumes and wardrobe from her various movies. This book is more to do with her on-screen style, rather than her day-to-day look. I liked the look of Marilyn's Style as it seems to be more a hefty read, rather than just a coffee table book like some of my other purchases. I'm looking forward to finishing this book!


Styling the Stars
by Angela Cartwright and Tom McLaren
This book promotes itself as 'Lost Treasures from the Twentieth Century Fox Archive'. It has a lot of high-quality photographs of different stars in their costume and makeup tests for various films. Styling the Stars is more suited to those who love Old Hollywood cinema, rather than vintage and pinup style. There are some snips of information about a few films, but the book is more centred on the different photographs. I really liked how to book was in chronological order, it was interesting to see the development and change of costuming and hair. 


Vintage Beauty Parlor
by Hannah Wing
This book is a great read for anyone interested in the pinup style or retro eras of the 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50s and 60s. There are some simple hair and makeup ideas from each era. I really liked the extra information about fashion choices in Vintage Beauty Parlor. I'm looking forward to trying some of the styles!


The Vintage Tea Party Year
by Angel Adoree
I have been on the hunt for this book ever since it was written about in Vintage Life magazine. It has a range of different recipes, decoration and hair ideas to meet a number of different occasions over the year. My favourite of these is the Children's Party and New Year's Eve. Some of the recipes I wouldn't have the stomach to try (such as pigeon pie), but there are some very tasty sounding ones too!


TCM Movie Night Menus
by Tenaya and Andre Darlington
This book was written by two siblings and was the book I was probably most excited about! In this book there are a number of different classic movies listed, and with each movie there is a food and cocktail recipe that was inspired by the film! This is going to be so fun to try. The only problem with this book is that the measurements are not in the metric system, so there will need to be a bit of calculating done when I try some of the recipes.


I love to read and I'm always on the hunt for new books about pinup style/the 1950s/Old Hollywood so there will definitely be more book-related blog posts. 

See you soon!

Miss Rebecca Rockford

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beauty Products

Hello! Over the past few weeks I have been having fun buying and trying new beauty and hair products. Most of these are hair-related as I'm always on the lookout for new ways to curl my hair. Here are the items I purchased and my thoughts on each of them... Sculpture Pin-Curl Tool I bought this Sculpture Pin Curl Tool from That Shop at Robina but I believe you can also buy them online at Atomic Cherry. This is created by Lauren Rennells, the author of Vintage Hairstyling and Retro Makeup. You use the little blue tool to help wrap your hair for pin curls. Inside the box there was also an instruction booklet with different styles, rolling and brush-out techniques and a gorgeous poster of different vintage hairstyles. It is such an interesting tool and quite easy to use. I used it on a wet set and found that the pin curls were a lot smaller than when I roll them just using my hands. The only down-side to this tool is that when they dried and I did the brush-out, the hai

Outfits of the Week

I am finally back to posting regularly again following more internet trouble these past few weeks. Here is the round-up of the outfits I have worn over the past two weeks. I post to my instagram regularly miss.rebeccarockford if you would like to see more! Tuesday May 16th Earrings - Erstwilder Dress - Bernie Dexter Shoes - From Japan Friday 19th May Hair Flower - Lovisa Earrings - Erstwilder Dress - Hell Bunny Shoes - Bettie Page Shoes Saturday 20th May Hat - Vintage Top - Collectif Clothing Skirt - Kitten D'Amour Gloves - Vintage Shoes - Miss Mooz from That Shop Thursday 25th May Hair Flowers - A gift Cardigan - Supre Top - Banned Dancing Days Brooch - Vintage Skirt - A markets find Shoes - Pinup Couture Friday 26th May Hair Flowers - A gift Dress - Timeless from Wild Kitty Brooch - Erstwilder Belt - That Shop Shoes - Kmart Saturday 27th May Hair Flowers - Lovisa Top - Rev

Film of the Week

This week's choice is not a classic movie, but another one of my favourite films about life in the 1940s and 50s. A League of Their Own is my choice for this week and has everything you could want; Madonna, Tom Hanks and the fabulous aesthetic and interesting culture that was 1940's America. A League of Their Own (1992) This movie is about the American Women's Baseball League that was created during WW2 due to the shortage of male ball-players that were called to fight in the war. I'm not normally a fan a sports movies, but I really like how this films captures the culture of the 1940's during wartime. The story follows two sisters (played by Geena Davis and Lori Petty) who join the league and are on the same baseball team - The Rockford Peaches (my namesake!).  While the film mainly focuses on the rise of the baseball league, there are some other aspects of the story that are shown such as the relationships between the girls and their coach (played b